Skip to main content

My girlfriend is Spanish: Rahul Gandhi

Amethi: Rahul Gandhi may have just got himself a new job. The fifth-generation heir of the Nehru-Gandhi dynasty is all set to become a parliamentarian from Amethi and the excitement and anxiety is palpable.
Campaigning is over, the day of reckoning has come. However, Rahul would like the world to believe he is only serving his dharma. "I don’t care if I win or lose this election," he says, sitting in his garden, as rain clouds gather over Amethi.

"I am here as a sensible, responsible Indian, because I want to help people get on track, from being distracted by dangerous issues like religious and caste hatred."

But is he surprised at the Rahul effect. "Obviously something is very wrong if a 33-year-old can just pop up and get this kind of attention. If the BJP had done well, I would not have got this response."

While Rahul launches into a soliloquy on trade and economics (like "wherever we’ve succeeded is despite the Government"), guess which industry Rahul is looking to revive? Following in the footprints of his father and uncle, it is none other than the automobile industry. "It is where a lot of jobs lie," he says.

He says he has learnt his lessons of humility from the working class ethics of England. "I could have joined politics soon after my father died," explains Rahul, "but I was just 19 and had nothing to offer. I made a commitment to myself, I will do it one day. After studies in the US, I risked my life to do away with my guards to lead a regular life in England...I worked for five years. I’m glad I did it."

Now that he has rejected the regular job, regular life, what happens to his regular gal? "My girlfriend’s name is Veronique not Juanita," laughs Rahul, "She is Spanish and not Venezuelan or Colombian. She is an architect not a waitress, though I wouldn’t have had a problem with that. She is also my best friend." He met her in his university in England.

Has he already proposed to her? "Hmm", he answers with a huge smile, "I am not sure when I will be settling down." Would he not be breaking many hearts here? "I hope not a lot of hearts," he grins, "You cannot make everyone happy."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tamil Nadu model is better than Modi’s Gujarat model, Rahul Gandhi says

RAMANATHAPURAM: Lauding the Tamil Nadu model as better than the Gujarat model, Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi on Monday said he was happy that Congress was fighting the elections alone in Tamil Nadu and hoped the party would capture power in the state in 2016. Addressing a public meeting to seek votes for the party candidate S Thirunavukkarasar at coastal Ramanathapuram district a day before election campaigning comes to an end in the state, Rahul hit out at BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi for projecting Gujarat as an ideal state. Rahul heaped praises on Tamil Nadu's development. "Tamil Nadu has shown what Tamil people are capable of. Modi talks about Gujarat model. Maybe, he should come here and take a look at TN model" Rahul said. Rahul said that the country "does not need a government that makes Hindus fight Muslims." "You must ensure that a secular government comes to power at the Centre," he said. "We don

Opposition parties don’t respect women: Rahul Gandhi

TUMKUR: AICC vice-president Rahul Gandhi made a strong pitch for women's empowerment at his rally on Sunday, and said it's the only way for the country to become a superpower. Addressing a women's rally at Tumkur, 70km from Bangalore, Rahul said the country today was half a superpower because women had not been given equal status. "India will not become a superpower if women aren't given opportunities. We need equal representation for women at all levels to make them empowered," he told a mammoth gathering. Rahul, who is also co-chairman of the Congress campaign committee for the LS polls, was here on a two-day tour. Chanting the women empowerment mantra, he was critical of his own party. "Men outnumber women at this rally. This is the situation the Congress is facing today. Men are preferred over women while giving tickets for assembly and Lok Sabha elections. This has to change and I want more women to attend rallies and participate in the el

Teen Rahul